Valtiontalo, Eteläesplanadi 4, Helsinki, 1911–1912, drawing dated 1911. Image by courtesy of Museum of Finnish Architecture.
Valtiontalo, Eteläesplanadi 4, Helsinki, 1911–1912, drawing dated 1911. Image by courtesy of Museum of Finnish Architecture.

Celebrating Armas Lindgren’s 140th anniversary

Today, Friday the 28th of November 2014, marks the 140th anniversary of architect Armas Lindgren, born 28th of November 1874 in Hämeenlinna, passed away 3rd of October 1929 in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Lindgren has left a mark in the pages of history of Finnish architecture for his connoisseurship of international history of culture and art, his distinguished career as a professor of architecture and the buildings of the architect trio Armas Lindgren, Herman Gesellius and Eliel Saarinen from the period of Finnish National Romanticism. The most well-known works of the office are the Finnish pavilion for the Paris World Fair (1900), the studio home Hvitträsk in Kirkkonummi (1903) and the building for the National Museum of Finland in Helsinki (competition 1902, construction 1905–1910).

Lindgren established his own office in 1905 and collaborated later with e.g. architect Wivi Lönn. One of the finest examples of this era is The New Student House in Helsinki (1910).

Further information about Armas Lindgren is available at the Museum of Finnish Architecture web pages: mfa.fi/architect?apid=3830.

Haikko manor, Porvoo, 1912–14 (finished later). Image by courtesy of Museum of Finnish Architecture.

Haikko manor, Porvoo, 1912–14 (finished later). Image by courtesy of Museum of Finnish Architecture.

Design for the ball room of the New Student House [Uusi Ylioppilastalo], drawing by Armas Lindgren. Designed 1909–10, constructed 1924–25. Image by courtesy of Museum of Finnish Architecture.

Design for the ball room of the New Student House [Uusi Ylioppilastalo], drawing by Armas Lindgren. Designed 1909–10, constructed 1924–25. Image by courtesy of Museum of Finnish Architecture.

Content collaboration